For travelers who desire more flexibility, renting a car and driving from San Jose can sometimes be a better option than arranged transportation. The highway from San Jose to Puntarenas is an easy drive. However, once you arrive in Puntarenas, the ferry can be a bit more confusing. Start, by arriving about 30-45 minutes early. If this is a weekend, or holiday time, we would suggest arriving an hour ahead of time to make sure you can get your car on the ferry. The ferry schedule leaves about every 3 hours, so you don’t want to have to wait around for the next one. Once you find the line to wait in, park your car and find the little ticket window. This can be tricky, but look for a short line of people. The ticket window is located inside a bakery on the corner. Once you purchase your ticket, you can go back to the car. They will tell you as you pull your car on, but no passengers (besides the driver) are allowed in the vehicle as it’s being parked on the ferry, so your travel companions will have to get out and walk and meet you on the ferry.Once on the ferry, the upper deck is an open area with seating, snacks, drinks and music. Downstairs, you’ll find a large air conditioned space with seating, more snacks and drinks. The ferry ride in total takes about an hour and a half. There are wonderful views of the Gulf of Nicoya and if you are riding in the evening, you will likely get some magical sunset colors.
Once you arrive in Paquera, again the passengers will not be allowed in the vehicle, so the driver will need to wait in the car while others walk off. The seen on the other side can seem a bit chaotic with taxis and buses waiting for people. It’s best to tell your travel companions to walk a bit ahead of the traffic so that you can pick them up. Once on your way, it’s another hour or so of driving to Montezuma!
When staying at hotels in Costa Rica near Montezuma, you’ll need to find stuff to do at night. Luckily, the area boasts a vibrant nightlife with many bars and discos open into the night. There are also many different dance classes and retreats for those who want to avoid the bars. In addition to this are the street performers, who line the streets in town at night.
Two places to check out at night are the Café Organico and Chico’s Bar. Both are popular spots to hang out with friends and dance in the evening. The Café Organico offers coffee and organic smoothies. At night, live bands play traditional music in the chill atmosphere. At Chico’s Bar, the atmosphere is more energetic. Live DJs blast tunes while patrons dance.
Out on the street, fire dancers put on a show for all to see. Multiple fire dancers dance to traditional Costa Rican beats, while twirling real fire. Puppet shows are common to see out on the streets, too. They tell traditional and local stories about the area and the culture. Also on the street are many different, small shops and carts selling everything from jewelry to food.
During the late afternoon, you can take classes for Zumba and fire dancing. Or, you can head out to a yoga retreat. No matter what type of activity, the area offers everything. From food, to dance, to relaxation, you’ll find it in Montezuma, Costa Rica.
After booking rooms in hotels in Costa Rica, your vacation begins. There are many things to explore in the Montezuma area. Eco tourism is very popular here, with multiple wildlife reserves to visit and many other places to become one with nature.
- The Curu National Wildlife Refuge offers tours to see all the different wildlife in the area. Watch many different birds in the refuge, including macaws. On site is also an artificial reef, which can be viewed during diving tours.
- Many areas within and around Montezuma are open to hiking. While hiking, you are likely to see many different species of monkey, deer and even pumas. Early in the morning, more animals are out for you to see.
- Horseback riding tours are plentiful in the area. On horseback, you can ride trails through the rainforest to different waterfalls, taking in nature along the way. On these trips, you are likely to see a lot of the natural wildlife in the area.
- Take a boat tour to go whale watching. Along the way, you are likely to meet dolphins and sea turtles. Scuba diving gives you more opportunities to interact with the fish, sharks and other ocean life.
There are only a small number of the places you can view the local wildlife near Montezuma. The whole area is teeming with preserves and national parks. No matter what type of activities you fancy, you will find them in the area, with so much more waiting for you in other parts of the country.
When on a Costa Rica vacation, food is a necessity. There are many restaurants at the various resorts in the area, but you may not know the best places to go. Luckily, we have compiled this list with the best restaurants to go to in the area, based upon user reviews.
- Tierra Y Fuego. For a bit of home comfort, visit Tierra Y Fuego. They offer a great menu full of traditional Italian cuisine that rivals your local stateside Italian restaurant. All bread and dough are homemade, as well as all of the yummy desserts. If you crave a pizza, this is the place to dine.
- Ylang Ylang Restaurant. The Ylang Ylang Restaurant was awarded a Certificate of Excellence by TripAdvisor in 2013. We offer up fresh homemade traditional Costa Rican cuisine. Raw, organic and seafood dishes are aplenty, as are tropical and exotic beverages.
- Puggo’s. Puggo’s offers up fresh seafood and traditional Costa Rican fare. All ingredients are fresh, and all meals are homemade. Receive excellent service and great tasting food in this family-oriented restaurant.
- Soda marvin. Soda marvin is a family-owned restaurant attached to the owner’s home. Dinner here brings a whole new meaning to a home-cooked meal. The menu is extensive, the atmosphere family-friendly and the food is prepared fresh.
- Cocolores. Cocolores offers up a mixture of gourmet Italian and Mediterranean cuisine. They offer excellent seafood and a great selection of craft beers at this local seaside favorite.
For more information on local plays to stay and restaurants, contact us at the Ylang Ylang Beach Resort.
When you travel to Costa Rica, consider staying in the Montezuma area. This area offers some of the best attractions, food and nightlife in the whole country. The town is located on the southern tip of the Nicoya Peninsula of the Latin American country. The area is very popular with tourists for all the things there are to do and see.
1. Costa Rica International Film Festival. In November of each year is the Costa Rica International Film Festival. Here you can see a diverse array of independent films that are made by amateur and professional directors alike. Watch hundreds of films over the four day festival and attend after parties in many of the bars.
2. Cabo Blanco Absolute Natural Reserve. Many eco-tourists flock to this nature reserve each year. It covers just over 3,000 acres and contains many diverse species of plants, animals and birds. Travelers can step foot into two diverse forest regions, dry and wet. Both areas have different types of flora and fauna.
3. Horseback Riding Expeditions on the Beach. Ride horses along the beach or through the jungle. Exploring the area by horse gives travelers a unique experience not available anywhere else. Ride with a group or arrange for a private session.
4. Montezuma Falls. The stunning waterfalls in Montezuma are a tourist favorite. Swim or go hiking in the area for the day.
5. Zumatours Fishing. Fishing tours are fun for the whole family. The private charter tours will take you out where you can deep sea fish, or go diving or snorkeling off the coast of Costa Rica.
For more fun activities and lodging, contact us at the Ylang Ylang Beach Resorts.
A visit to Montezuma in beautiful Costa Rica is likely to give you the most unforgettable memories. Not only will you be enjoying a vacation in one of the best tropical locations in the world, you will be in the heart of the city. You can watch the locals, immerse yourself in the culture, and enjoy the city life. Even better, you are just a few miles away from the beautiful beaches of Costa Rica – one of the many reasons visitors come from near and far. There are many hotels in Montezuma to provide you with accommodations during your stay. The Ylang Ylang Beach Resort’s sister hotel, the El Sano Banano Hotel, is the ideal location for your stay in Montezuma.
At the El Sano Banano Hotel, you can enjoy a level of affordable luxury that you will not find in other hotels. Our sister hotel strives to hold itself up to the high Ylang Ylang standards – standards of quality, luxury, affordability and guest satisfaction. During your stay at the El Sano Banano, you will be nestled in the heart of Montezuma, providing you with easy access to local events and activities. You are only a few miles away from the pristine Costa Rican beaches, so you will have plenty of chances to soak up the sun and cool yourself in the clear, ocean waters. The rooms are clean, comfortable and affordable – making the El Sano Banano an ideal choice for vacationers on a budget. To learn more about this beautiful, quaint hotel, contact us today.
If you are planning a trip to Costa Rica, prepare yourself for an unforgettable journey. Costa Rica is one of the most popular destinations in the world for relaxing, luxurious vacations. It is such a beautiful, captivating environment that many people have even chosen to purchase vacation homes in the country – some have even chosen to move to Costa Rica on a permanent basis. If you are not quite ready to take the plunge and move to Costa Rica, you can still enjoy a luxury vacation in one of the numerous beach resorts available.
There are many hotels in Montezuma, as well as in the surrounding area. Here at the Ylang Ylang, while we are not located directly in Montezuma, we are located close enough for our guests to enjoy all that the city of Montezuma has to offer. One of the best things about staying with us is that you can have access to the city life, yet still return to the peaceful, quiet, seclusion that encompasses the Ylang Ylang. Contact us today to reserve your luxury room.
As you map out the details for your trip to Costa Rica, one of the most important decisions you will make is your selection of accommodations. There are various hotels in Montezuma and the surrounding area that you can choose from, including the Ylang Ylang. We strive to provide our guests with the most unforgettable Costa Rican experience possible. We do this through a variety of ways; including yoga sessions, spa treatments, beach dining, and of course, our luxurious suites and bungalows.
As you debate where to stay during your Costa Rican vacation, you are likely going to be faced with a myriad of options. Costa Rica is certainly a prime vacation destination and therefore, there is no shortage of hotels and resorts. When choosing your accommodations, remember to choose a place that is located near the various activities you plan to participate in during your stay in Costa Rica. Also, remember to choose a place that will cater to your every need, no matter how big or small – a place like the Ylang Ylang.
When you are planning a trip to Costa Rica, you want to choose accommodations that work best with your desired activities. For instance, hotels in Montezuma allow you access to the hustle and bustle of city life, along with all the related activities. If you are looking for a quieter, relaxed type of vacation, you want to choose a hotel in a more secluded location, such as the Ylang Ylang.
One key feature of the Ylang Ylang is that it is located in seclusion – yet, close enough to Montezuma to allow you to partake of the city activities. In essence, you get the best of both worlds. You can enjoy the city life when you want to and take some quiet time for yourself when you need it. As you plan the details of your Costa Rican vacation, keep location in mind. Plan your activities accordingly and you will have an unforgettable journey to one of the most beautiful places in the world.